To book a place on a training session, please click on your chosen event and register through the Eventbrite link provided.
Please note, these events are for staff employed within the Lancashire and South Cumbria healthcare system only.
Leading with Courage and Compassion
At the heart of leadership is the focus on the service-user. Historically, there has been a ‘pace setting’ leadership style prevalent within the NHS, that focused on targets and delivery rather than engaging both staff and patients. There is now a recognised need for leaders who will work with compassion and a strong sense of moral purpose and courage.
We will provide insight into what it means to lead with compassion and courage in the NHS. It will look at how current policies inform the healthcare landscape, focusing on the need for a passionate commitment to do the ‘right things at the right time’ for service users.
The context for this module will be set by an online expert guest speaker who will outline what leading with compassion and courage actually means in meeting the challenges of the current and future climate. A range of highly relevant case studies will be used, showing service users’ experiences and ethical dilemmas. These will provide a basis for facilitated group discussions on what is the ‘right’ thing and (importantly), how and when to do it to get successful and safe outcomes.
You will have the opportunity to reflect on your values, your authenticity and how you demonstrate compassion in your leadership role – along with how you transmit this through to your colleagues.
What will the session cover?
- Identify what we mean by moral purpose, compassion, and the behaviours associated with them
- Explore how leading with moral purpose fits with the healthcare leadership context
- Explore how moral and ethical dilemmas in the system impact on your leadership role and develop approaches to resolving them
- Consider the link between patient pathway and the patient experience
- Identify how mindset, style, and previous experience influence individuals’ approaches to leading with compassion
Who is it for?
This offer has been commissioned to directly support senior leaders across the North West (including but not exclusive to NHS Organisation Board and Sub Board post-holders, Executive and Governing Body Leads, Primary Care Network senior leadership teams and those working across system level roles).